About Beijing

position:   Home > About Beijing  
position:    Home  >   About Beijing  


Beijing city is located at the northwestern part of North China Plain and surrounded by mountains on the west, north and northeastern parts of the city. Mountainous areas cover about 62% of the total area of 10.4 thousand square kilometers whereas the rest 38% of the area is plain area. Beijing's weather can be categorized as a monsoon-influenced humid continental climate with very distinct four seasons. An extremely hot and humid summer as well as a very cold and dry winter is very common in Beijing. Over 80% of the rain falls occurs in June, July and August.
Linked to over 60 cities in the world, Beijing is one of transportation hubs in the world. More than 2,000 flights arrive and depart Beijing every day. Beijing is also connected to Europe and other Asian countries by railway. In addition, around 1,000 domestic flights cover 140 cities, fly-in-and-out from Beijing Within the city, transportation is very convenient with the subway, light rail, public buses and taxis, which form a network reaching every part of the city.



Climate in Beijing


By Air
Beijing Capital International Airport is located in northeast of Beijing. It is 25.35 km from the Tiananmen Square, the center of Beijing city. It is not only an aviation gateway of Beijing and a window for international communication, but also a radial center for China civil aviation network. More than 5,000 scheduled flights are available to 140 cities in China and 69 abroad. The Airport is under the administrative control of Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC), officially opened on March 2nd 1958. With the development of civil aviation business and the increasing volume of passenger and cargo transportation, it has been expanded in large scale, now there are 3 Terminals (T1, T2 and T3) in use every day. It served more than 94 million passengers in 2016, ranked first place in Asia and second in the world.






By High-speed Railway

China high speed trains, also known as bullet or fast trains, can reach 300 km/h (186 mph), or a top speed of 350 km/h (217 mph).About 2,522 pairs of high speed trains numbered by G, D or C run daily connecting over 200 cities in China and covering 32 of the country's 34 provinces. Beijing-Shanghai high speed train link the two megacities 1,318 km (819 mi) away in just 4.5 hours. By 2017, China keeps the world's largest high speed rail (HSR) network with a length totaling over 25,000 km (15,500 mi), including 12,500 km (7,760 mi) of rail routes allowing trains at a speed above 250 km/h (155 mph). The world's longest HSR line, Beijing-Guangzhou High Speed Railway, extends 2,298 km (1,428 mi), and is expected to run to Hong Kong in 2018.


By Subway

Beijing's Subway has 15 lines including the airport express. Trains run from 05:30 in the morning until 23:00. Average waiting time is less than 3 minutes between 2 trains. Tickets can be bought at the ticket office at each station or at ticket vending machine. Subway stops are announced in the train’s broadcasting system both in Chinese and English.


By Bus

City public buses run from 5:30 till 23:00 daily. Taking buses in Beijing is cheap, but less comfortable than taxis or subway. The rate for a tram or ordinary public bus is 2-4 RMB. Buses equipped with air-conditioning or of a special line are charged according to the distance. It is not pleasant during the rush hours (6:30-9:00 and 17:00-19:00), as it is especially crowded then. Some recorded announcements give the stop's name in English. Having your destination in Chinese characters will always help.



By Taxi
Taxis in Beijing do suffer from congestion; however taxi drivers will find the fastest way to your destination. The Please bring the name of your destination in Chinese characters if your spoken Chinese is not good. The cost from the airport to the conference venue is about RMB100-120 including the toll fee RMB10. Please do ask for the receipt from the driver.


By Bicycle
China used to be called Bicycle Kingdom. In Beijing today, the bike is still a convenient vehicle for most people. Bikes can be rent from many hotels for 20-30 RMB/day, or scan QR code to ride a shared bike. Shared bike is called one of China’s new four great “inventions” together with High-speed rails, Alipay, and online shopping. Renting a bike may be a better way for you to see the city at your own pace. With a deposit, you can easily rent a bike by subway station on roadsides. The charge is about 1 RMB/hour.